GPJ Consulting Engineers have a large presence in the Animal Biocontainment Sector and have vast experience of successful new build and refurbishment projects.
Generally laboratories and scientific facilities are heavily serviced, meaning they are heavily reliant on the building services to provide the required level of containment and to monitor the internal conditions and provide alarms when a potential containment breach occurs.
The level of containment is directly dictated by the pathogen under investigation or expected at the facility. The classification of the Pathogens are as dictated by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affars (DEFRA), Specified Animal Pathogens Order (SAPO).
Our past projects include:
- Containment Level (CL) 4 facility design and build to study livestock disease
- CL3 facilities refurbishment to study animal, bird and aquatic disease
- Modular Post Mortem facilities (CL2)
- High Security Unit (HSU) refurbishment (CL3)
- Peer review of existing facilities in the UK, Montenegro, Armenia and Poland
Systems design to include:
- Pressure and Ventilation regimes including heating, cooling, heat recovery and filtering (HEPA)
- Hot and Cold Water Systems with dosing and bio safe operation
- Negative pressure drainage design with integrity monitoring
- Effluent Treatment Plant (Thermo, Thermo-Chem and manual dosing)
- Security Systems for science, monitoring and restricted access
- Emergency and panic Alarms
- Standby Generators and Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
- Environment and Systems monitoring Control Systems
- Decontamination of material and bodies interacting with scientific spaces
- Process Flow Analysis for any interaction with the facility (staff, waste, pathogen, vehicles etc)
- Alkaline Hydrolysis (AD) Plant
- Automated Fumigation Systems
- Consultation against current Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) guidelines and bio-containment best practice.